|Gateway without the stickers.|
It really is a very large model and I would need a baseboard to mount it on which was eventually sourced by my #2 son from a piece of scrap wood that he kindly donated to the cause and he also chamferred the edges.
|Facade with the holes now covered.|
The main entrance also had some slight damage to the gate , which was left as it didn't detract from the overall appearance.
I cut and shaped some thin pieces of plastic card to fit over the holes of the facade and added a couple more solely for decoration as can be seen in the photograph above.
|Wall pieces showing the join and the recessed cavities.|
I have seen these cavities and joints left as they are, but that wasn't a very satisfying solution to me.
There were three areas that needed looking at, the two mentioned above plus the top 'slot' that ran around all the walls
|Section of wall with the cavities filled.|
|The assembled arena, sitting on its baseboard|
I'd already assembled the model, (coffee stirrers and all) and undercoated it when other cavities came to light, which also needed filling. These were obviously as a result of the molding process too, but I also wanted to give some 'thickness' to some otherwise very thin walls.
On the photographs, luckily these areas can all been seen as white, being a combination of foamboard and filler. The back of the balcony above the gates is a prime example of the use of foamboard.
The photograph shows the end wall of the seating area with its cavity filled and filler where the wall sections meet on the outside. The tops of the walls were also given a thin coating of filler for both texture and to blend in with filler that was used on the sections where the walls met.
The Dias above the entrance also had another piece added to it to heighten it a little further.
Unfortunately I didn't take that any more photographs whilst working on this, but I hope the few I did were helpful in relating what went into my version of this.